Dental veneers are shell-like dental appliances that are used to hide broken, chipped or misaligned teeth. The shells can be made of composite material such as resin or even porcelain. Dental veneers can be customized to fit the shape of the individual tooth. Veneers can also tackle the problem of discolored teeth. Veneers are essentially porcelain or plastic shells that are permanently bonded to the front of your existing teeth to enhance the color or shape of a tooth – and even close gaps between teeth. Veneers are just as strong as your real teeth and will feel just as if they were your own.
What are Veneers made of?
Veneers are generally made up of either resin, plastic, or porcelain. Porcelain veneers are most commonly used as they are more strong, durable, brittle, and life-like. They are engineered by technicians into shapes that are most suited to the teeth. They are cemented to the teeth with the help of resins. And the best part is, it is a pain-free procedure.
What is the procedure that involves in getting a Veneer?
Getting a Veneer would initially take you two appointments if the Veneer will be required to be made.
- The first step is where the dentist takes a good look at the teeth and decides how much of the enamel needs to be removed for placing Veneers. Administering anesthesia is optional depending on how the patient can tolerate the procedure.
- Dentists will take an impression of the existing tooth with the health diagnostic tools. Until the permanent Veneers are placed, a temporary Veneer will be placed onto the teeth.
- Once the permanent Veneers are ready at the lab, the temporary Veneer will be removed. The teeth will be rinsed and cleaned before applying adhesives to place the permanent Veneer above it.
- The Veneer will be cemented into place and any excess material will be removed.
What are the benefits of Veneers?
Veneers can help you gain the smile that you always dreamt of. As Veneers are known for their stain-free nature, they are proven to be a great solution to discolored teeth. Veneers can help solve to cover broken, chipped, and misaligned teeth giving you that perfect smile.
How can one take care of their Veneers?
After having Veneers on it is important to maintain them without proper care. We recommend you follow the below to ensure that smile stays sparkling as it was.
- We advise patients to use non-abrasive fluoride toothpaste as they can be gentle on the teeth.
- Healthy and shining Veneers are guaranteed if patients are willing to avoid caffeine items such as tea and coffee.
- Daily brushing and flossing are vital to ensure that your teeth remain healthy and clean.